Monday, January 4, 2010

Chicago Checklist:

I'm going to Chicago (I've never been) on January 22, 2010 until January 26, 2010. I will be compiling a list of things I would like to see while I am there.

I'd like to check this place out, and hopefully have some sort of conversation with someone involved with this. This is the sort of thing I'm interested in pursuing at some point in my life.

As much as I dislike poetry readings, in general, it might be nice to expose myself to a variety of them, demographically. I feel like Chicago might be more engaging? That still will do nothing for my inability to pay attention (unless you're Peter Gizzi) to your poems. Maybe they'll have an overhead projector? I could think of worse things to do, however. I might want to check this out. ***EDIT-Judging by the quick google search of the poets reading, I'm not so sure.***

The Art Institute of Chicago appears to have some interesting exhibitions showing during my time there. This looks interesting, among other things. I don't know much about the Museum of Contemporary Art, but it could prove to be interesting?

I've heard good things about POWELLS, but have never had the opportunity to see what it's all about. If any of you have any book requests, let me know.

This is more of a blog for me to keep track of possibilities. Feel free to offer suggestions as, like I said, I've never been to Chicago.

Update (01/05):

FRI. 1/22/10 (10:00pm; $10)

The Empty Bottle & Polyvinyl present "The Joan of Arc Don't Mind Control Variety Show"

Featuring:
Josh Abrams related: DRMWPN, Town & Country
A Tundra
Disappears
Jeremy Boyle
Lites Alive
Matt Clark
Motel Smell
Owen
Pillars & Tongues
The Zoo Wheel
Tim Kinsella
Vacations
plus a special performance by Slick Conditions and other surprise special guests

Out last month on Polyvinyl, Don’t Mind Control is a collection of 18 exclusive songs curated by JOAN OF ARC front man TIM KINSELLA from bands that all feature members who have played in JOAN OF ARC at one point in the band’s lustrous history. The release features the prowess of over 41 musicians and a 24 page photo book documenting KINSELLA and Co’s history of making music together. Tonight is a celebration of musical friendships and partnerships in the Chicago indie music scene that have changed and flourished over the last fifteen years.

2 comments:

nineteen.eighty.seven said...

Yes! I'm excited about your list! Has anyone responded on indietorrents?

justin ryan fyfe said...

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?