Tuesday, August 5, 2008

say good bye to the top of my head

I will be getting a hair cut tomorrow at 5:15 pm. Anxiety. I don't know the woman. And then the talking.

Jesus the talking.
Yes. Yes. Yes.
I did get my hair cut.

Yesterday I was walking back to my car after work and I noticed a "new" used book store on ninth street. It's called Bluestem books. Apparently it's been in Lincoln for over 20 years, but just now (a month ago) resurfaced from the underground. I bought a few things. Ezra Pound's Cantos, Emily Dickinson's Collected Poems, Louis Zukofsky's Selected Poems, and Ferdinand de Saussure's Course in General Linguistics. I'm thinking about printing off Susan Howe's My Emily Dickinson at work, but think I might get in trouble if I get caught. Yeah, I wont. Damn.
Zukofsky is an interesting poetic specimen from the looks of his poems. Of course I've HEARD a lot about the man, but I can't say I've ever actually read anything by him so at least after I read his selected poems along with the introduction by Charles Bernstein regarding his linguistic PROCESS I might be able to speak on him. I saw a poem discussed in the introduction briefly called "Belly Locks Shnooks Oakie" while flipping through the pages yesterday. The poem is as follows:

Belly Locks Shnooks Oakie

Belly Locks Shnooks Oakie
When he awoke, he
Scared all the spooks. he
Was some oak, he
Was.

This, to me, is an extension of Stein to a point. Reading the first line (as well as the title itself) is syntactically frustrating; there is basically no syntax (at least our conception of it). Anyway, it should be interesting and surprising!
I nearly keeled over because of you Louis.



I nearly did.

1 comment:

rachelise said...

i want to see your head.