Tuesday, October 21, 2008

what do you think? should i?

Please indicate in your submission whether or not you'd like criticism in the case that we decline publication your work.

For some reason, this statement makes me leery of start-up, online journals. While I appreciate an informed, objective eye and new perspectives regarding the successes or failures of my writing, I feel like as a writer, I deserve exactly that--an informed, objective perspective of poetic merit. Shouldn't the editors of these "start-up," online journals provide some sort of legitimizing statement as to their credentials, or does a flashy website assume some sort of legitimacy?

Regarding the specific journal where this particular statement was taken, maybe it's the absence (obviously unintentional) of the preposition of between publication and your that makes me hesitant to submit. Or maybe it's my persistent insecurity? Or is it my love affair with poetry that makes me feel like I have more poetic exposure than the editors of these start ups? Should that matter--obviously not. I might read a lot of poetry, but I still don't know anything about it. Maybe I know a little bit. Shit (see persistent insecurity). When am I allowed to feel comfortable to show the world what I think I know? And when will I feel comfortable enough to accept everything that I do not (which is everything)?

My poetry is an argument for uncertainty. I am not yet knowledgeable. I cannot interject a point or idea into a line. "No ideas but in things." The lines are my providers. I need my poetry to teach me about light and about the weight of this earth.

1 comment:

rachelise said...

i think you should write a poem to me like a letter.
i think you should see what they'd have to say.